More than 9 million expats live in Germany, out of which over a million are from Russia; and at least half of them are women. The following are the most common and perfectly good reasons for why Russian women tend to move to live abroad.
1. More Career Opportunities People living and growing up in the same country, with the same educational system. They tend to develop strong skills in the same areas, some of which other countries might not be strong in.
Moving abroad, therefore, offers a lot of job opportunities with little competition. For example, being a Russian native speaker with a degree in Russian language moves you much further up the candidate list for teacher, translator and lecturer positions. Additionally, the German economy is the fastest-growing in Europe (in 2017 it grew by 1.9%), meaning more jobs in general. But you can also emigrate to start a completely different career that just has more opportunities abroad than in Russia.
Germany has low unemployment rates, since there are so many apprenticeship-level jobs available. It also offers higher pay and fewer working hours (compared to other countries with high immigration, like US and UK). Even if you get laid-off, you are entitled to a pay of one month’s salary multiplied by the number of years you worked for the company. You also get at least 30 days of holidays a year, a 100% paid maternity leave of 14 weeks, and paternity rights as well.
2. Better Life Quality Another common reason why Russians move abroad is seeking a better quality and more interesting lifestyle.
Germany is a leading country in this category too. Berlin is, in fact, one of the most affordable cities to live in. Then there is the cultural aspect to explore, from food to arts to surrounding little villages and historical sites. Because of the well-developed public transport system and the central location in Europe, it’s easy to travel within Germany as well as outside it, with affordable prices whichever direction you choose. The German healthcare system is one of the best. It is not illegal to not have health insurance, whether you’re employed or not but better you have one. The weather in Germany is around 15 warmer in December than it is in Russia. There’s a wide variety of clubs for every hobby, no matter how weird it may be. Finally, Germany also offers better retirement services.
3. Higher Education Having recently freed higher education of all tuition fees, including for non-EU and international students, Germany has become especially attractive to young people from other countries.
The country has several universities with high ratings. There is e.g. the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, which is in the top 100 universities in the world rankings. Some Russians might also take up summer internships in Germany, which eventually might lead to a full-time job, or they might choose to stay in Germany because of the German lifestyle.
4. Boredom A lot of expats, especially the younger ones, choose to emigrate simply out of boredom.
And it’s not that different with Russians. With its affordable lifestyle and a culture with a long history, Germany is a great place to emigrate to gain new experiences. Larger cities have a greater range of entertainment, while smaller towns offer a truly German experience. A lot of people also move to other countries for the sole purpose of learning a new language through practice rather than books. Most importantly, Germany is one of the safest countries for single women due to its vigilant, yet approachable, police force, and its people who are very welcoming to expats.
5. To Improve Their Relationships Sometimes people leave their native countries to escape the ghosts of painful past relationships, and sometimes to remedy such relationships with their families.
It’s hard to believe, but distance often brings people closer than it pulls them apart. A lot of people also move away to find more positive and more like-minded people to surround themselves with. Or they move because their families, siblings and friends are already living there, and they want to be closer to them.
6. For Love Everybody has seen at least one romantic movie about happy international relationships. Everybody knows that German men are some of the most attractive in the world.
Most Russian women dream about the perfect husband, and some of them are smart enough to look for him abroad. With so many romantic destinations, with the mountain views, rivers and castles, there’s a lot of romance to be shared.